Monday, October 11, 2010

Statistics Mastibation

China up close, Part I - What does a foreign stay entails

curiosity, adventure and interest in foreign cultures - That was the motivation of neuzehnjährigen Pilar Czoske for h Albes year after China to go en. SCIENCES After a six-week internship at the Sino-German Institute for Legal Swisse in Nanjing, she spent a semester abroad at the moment Zhengfa Daxue, the Chinese University of Political Science and Law in Beijing. Realize she knew her C hina stay in an exchange program of the Law School of Cologne and their home university with a grant from the Deutsc Hen Akad emic Exchange Service DAAD. For our blog Pilar tells of your experiences in the Middle Kingdom, in part one is in part to Chinese birthday parties.

Czoske woman, how did you get the idea to spend some time in China?

For my double degree in regional studies of China / Law is recommended to go to China to understand language and culture in depth and to learn Chinese. After my study start, the possibilities and options for studying in China and then to have occurred. In particular, the active rights dialogue between Germany and China have aroused my interest. Here in China there are two institutes, one in Nanjing and Beijing in the field of the German-Chinese cultural exchange are active. I found it very exciting, there sometimes can be actively involved.

What attracted you to China interested in?

on East Asian culture and especially to China I was initially irritated that I have on this country and this culture at all did not know. That is why I also decided to study regional studies of China in connection with law. It is an area that I had no knowledge and my idea was behind it, the world and people to understand a little better, assess and learn from a wider perspective.

Also it irritates me a lot, a new develop an understanding to how a completely different governmental and social system works, that is based on a completely different story and some other social values.

Can you give us a glimpse of your intercultural experience with the Chinese?
This question can most easily describe the basis of anecdotes, such as food culture in my Chinese host family was at a birthday party of a family member are plentiful in a strange for me as German order. After we enjoyed a good hour, all Chinese food, came the dessert. Then again three pasta dishes were on the table. On birthdays it is quite customary to eat noodles, because they symbolize a long life. After the noodles then the birthday cream cake was served. Then I took my host mother even to buy fresh fish for the next day. That night I wanted to rather not imagine what had to be digested for a judicial mix in my stomach. But it was really exciting to see how a Chinese family celebrates birthday. The food was without doubt the focus.

Life in a dormitory at a Chinese university is again very different than in Germany. Foreign students and Chinese students live together on the Zhengfa Daxue. We share three of us a room, the toilets and sinks are distributed on each floor. Shower facilities there but only at certain times of showers in the basement of the building. Moreover, the gates of the university be closed every night by 23 clock. If you come later you have to make secret find ways to still get to his room. Even though I

the many new impressions to the fullest enjoy, I must confess that it is sometimes difficult not being able to express properly and will there be communication difficulties. But I'm looking forward to develop that land to explore as multi-faceted as possible and an agreement for a different culture to can.

In part two you learn, among other things, such as Pilar cope with the Chinese language.

Image: East China University of Political Science and Law, Shanghai , Source: Wikipedia

0 comments:

Post a Comment